Friday, March 13, 2009

Gluten Free Vegan Gravy

Yesssss this recipe stems from my love of gross diner food, even though I can't eat any of it. I normally hate gravy except in Poutine, my life's desire (pictured below). This was really easy to make and I'm disappointed I didn't try it earlier. I still feel like this recipe isn't perfect but I wanted to document my first attempt. It definitely tasted good in poutine, though.

Ingredients
-1 boiled potato
-1 small onion (optional, I left this out because my stomach is sensitive to acidic things but if you can eat onions, totally put this in)
-6 cashews (you can put more, that's all I had. i really wanted to try sunflower seeds but I was out)
-2 cloves garlic
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1 and 3/4 cups vegetable stock or broth
-1 tbsp soy sauce
-1/4 cup arrowroot or corn starch
-1 and 1/2 tbsp oregano or preferred spice
-1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
-1/2 tsp sea salt (optional)



-In a medium sauce pot, fry garlic in the olive oil until very lightly toasted. remove from heat and let cool slightly.
-In a food processor, combine potato, onion,cashews, garlic and onion, vegetable broth, soy sauce, and arrowroot starch. blend together for 3 minutes or until totally pureed.
-the mixture should look way liquidy, don't freak out. you're gonna see some science in your pot soon.
-put your mixture in the med sauce pot. boil on high for five minutes, stirring continually. Within five minutes your mixture should be much more dense and gravy-like.
-stir in the oregano, pepper, and salt to taste
-boil 2 more minutes
-EEEEEEEEEEEEEAT IT on something.


I chose gf fries
and cheese (real cheese, I didn't have soy cheese : ( )
GF VEGETARIAN POUTINE:

.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try the gravy! I need to find a vegan cheese that's easy to melt. I've use nutritional yeast to make a cheezey substance but I dont know how well that would work in gravy, I want CHUNKS!

    ReplyDelete